Diabetes occurs when blood sugar levels are disturbed and are higher. It is the inability of the body to manage and use sugar to produce energy. It is a chronic condition which means a long-term condition. Here, excess sugar circulates in the bloodstream which elevates blood sugar levels.
The increase in blood sugar levels can cause various health disorders related to the eyes, nerves,immune system, nervous system, and circulatory system.
You can consult your diabetologist or dietician for a balanced diet that will have the food items you can eat. Make sure you
• Figure out the healthy foods that will help you manage diabetes
• Schedule and eat a nutritional diet
• Develop good habits and stick to them honestly. The good habits will pay you in the long run
• Keep a track of carbohydrate consumption. It will help you you’re your blood sugar levels in control.
There are two types of diabetes - Type 1 and Type 2, Type 1 diabetes is genetic and can occur at early age in life whereas Type 2 occurs is lifestyle disease which occurs over time.
Before knowing about the best medicine for diabetes type 2, let us learn about the diabetes detail. The two different problems that linked with diabetes are
• The pancreas unable to make enough insulin.
• Cells do not respond properly to insulin and absorb less sugar.
Ideally, Type 2 diabetes was known to be a disease common in adults. But, type 1 &type 2 diabetes can start right from childhood as well.
Type 2 is common in elderly people, but today it is increasing in obese children too. Hence, cases of type 2 diabetes are common in younger people too.
Well, type 2 diabetes is not curable. But, you can manage it in different ways like eating a healthy diet, exercising, and losing weight. When exercise and diet don’t work to manage blood glucose levels in your body, then you need insulin or diabetes medicines.
After evaluating your symptoms, the diabetologist would give you the best medicine for diabetes type 2 that suits you.
The symptoms and signs of type 2 diabetes progress slowly. You may not know about having this disease for years. The symptoms would be
• Frequent urination
• Increased thirst
• Unexpected weight loss
• Increased hunger
• Frequent infections
• Blurred vision
• Slow-healing sores
• Numbness/tingling sensation in feet or hands
• Darkening of skin in areas like armpits & neck
This disease can harm vital organs like blood vessels, the heart, kidneys, eyes, and nerves. You can control your blood sugar levels and reduce the risk of this disease by managing diabetes.
Here are some complications that may arise due to type 2 diabetes
The disease is linked with the risk of high blood pressure, heart stroke, and narrowing of your blood vessels.
High levels of blood sugar with time can harm or destruct your nerves. It can cause burning, tingling, and pain. Numbness or loss of sensation in fingers and toes to start with.
The nerves present in the heart can also face damage. It will lead to irregular heartbeats. If the nerves in your digestive system face damage, it can lead to problems like vomiting, nausea, constipation, and diarrhea. Well, nerve damage in men can also result in erectile dysfunction.
Chronic kidney problem also occurs due to diabetes. The patient can also slip into the last stage of kidney problems. In such cases, the patient may need a kidney transplant or dialysis.
Certainly, diabetes can increase the chances of severe eye diseases. For example, glaucoma and cataracts. It may harm the blood vessels present in retain resulting in blindness.
You are prone to skin problems due to diabetes. It includes fungal and bacterial skin infections.
Even small blisters, and cuts when not treated can turn into serious infections. The infections may not heal faster. Serious damage may need surgical removal of the leg, foot, or toe.
Diabetic people often face hearing problems. It is a common problem faced by them.
Type 2 diabetes is a common problem known as - Obstructive sleep apnea. The main factor contributing to this condition is obesity.
Well, type 2 diabetes patients are also at risk of Alzheimer's disease. They may also suffer from disorders like dementia. When the blood sugar levels are not in control, it can lead to weak memory and affect thinking skills.
Certainly, the best medicine for diabetes type 2 can help you manage diabetes, but you can prevent it by making simple changes to your lifestyle. Even if you have a family history of diabetes, you can prevent it if you are at the prediabetic stage. Else, you can slow or stop the development of diabetes.
• Eat healthy foods.
• Pick foods with low calories and fats. Choose foods high in fiber. Try and eat more whole grains, fruits, and vegetables
• Stay active and to do that, try to engage in some physical activity like running, brisk walking, swimming, bicycling, etc.,
• Try to lose weight as more weight will result in the occurrence of diabetes.
• Do not sit in one place for a lengthy period. It can elevate the chances of getting diabetes. Make sure you get up after every 30 minutes and walk around for a couple of minutes.
• Oral diabetes medication.
• PP-4 inhibitors
• GLP-1 receptor agonists
You need to focus on healthy eating habits apart from taking the best medicine for diabetes type 2 like
• Make sure you create and follow a schedule for healthy snacking and meals.
• Eat smaller meals
• Eat foods rich in fiber like whole grains, fruits, and vegetables (non-starchy).
• Cut-down on starchy vegetables & sweets and refined grains
• Consume small portions of low-fat milk products. Eat low-fat meats & fish
• Cut down on calories.
• Switch to healthy cooking oil like canola and olive oil
Do not miss the appointments with your diabetologist. Go for regular blood sugar checks as per the doctor’s advice.